Due to its massive size, figuring out where to stay in Madrid can be overwhelming—especially for first-time visitors.
Luckily, most guests are pleasantly surprised when they arrive. It’s so easy to get around town! However, a solid home base is essential for a successful trip. For that reason, Madrid’s amazing diversity means there’s a perfect barrio for everyone. Read on to figure out where to stay in Madrid that will best fit your personality and needs. Then, check out some of our favorite hotels in each neighborhood!
On the whole, students and young people love this bustling barrio for its cheap-yet-delicious tapas options, beautiful green spaces and top-notch quality of life. Additionally, Argüelles is home to some of Madrid’s most important tourist attractions. Here, you’ll find the Temple of Debod and Plaza de España as well as the Royal Palace.
- Hotel Barceló Torre de Madrid: With its quirky design, luxurious rooms and happening cocktail bar—what could be better? This hotel in Plaza de España is where to stay in Madrid for an undeniably unconventional yet classy experience.
Address: Plaza de España, 18
- Melia Madrid Princesa: Classic tradition meets cutting-edge avant garde style at this undeniably beautiful hotel. Its prime location on popular Calle Princesa makes it a perfect starting point for moving around town.
Address: Calle de la Princesa, 27
- Hotel T3 Tirol: Just steps away from the Argüelles metro stop! This hotel features elegant amenities in an unpretentious setting that will immediately make you feel at home. As a bonus, they’ve got an amazing rooftop terrace as well!
Address: Calle del Marqués de Urquijo, 4
The vibrant city center is definitely where to stay in Madrid if you want an exciting vacation full of nonstop activity. As home to some of the city’s most iconic sights such as Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol, it does tend to get touristy. However, that just means you’ll have more opportunities to make friends from all over the world.
- B&B Hotel Puerta del Sol: This lovely boutique hotel is perfect for either business or pleasure. No matter what brings you to Madrid, you’ll find ease and relaxation in its modern, comfortable rooms.
Address: Calle de la Montera, 10-12
- Hotel Indigo Madrid Gran Vía: This is a hip, modern hotel in the heart of Madrid. It offers stylish rooms, a classy bar, a well-equipped gym and stunning cityscape views from its rooftop terrace and infinity pool!
Address: Calle de Silva, 6
- Iberostar Las Letras Gran Vía: Families love this 100-year-old literary themed hotel for its stress-free atmosphere despite its prime location on bustling Gran Vía. It’s the perfect place to relax while being in the heart of the action!
Address: Gran Vía, 11
Humble Chamberí is where to stay in Madrid for a truly local experience. It remains one of the most authentic neighborhoods in Madrid. Chamberí boasts decades-old stores and taverns, often filled with madrileños enjoying an afternoon beer on a nice day. Here, you’re close to unique sights such as the underrated Sorolla Museum and one-of-a-kind shopping on Calle de Fuencarral.
- Hotel Orfila: This quaint, beautiful hidden gem of a hotel offers calm and comfort to the max. It has the architectural distinction of being the only hotel in Madrid with completely unique rooms. Not one of its 32 rooms or suites is anything at all like the others!
Address: Calle de Orfila, 6
- Hotel Intercontinental: A true cosmopolitan retreat! The Intercontinental is, in its own words, “more than a hotel, a way of life.” Discover the real Madrid from its prime location on bustling Paseo de la Castellana. Then, come back and relax in your luxurious room and enjoy an elegant meal in the onsite restaurant.
Address: Paseo de la Castellana, 49
- Hotel Gran Versalles: Modern amenities, elegant comfort and more await you at Hotel Gran Versalles. This classic hotel is full of places to relax, from the comfortable rooms to the especially beautiful, spacious lobby alongside the English garden.
Address: Calle Covarrubias, 4
Hip, young and trendy, Chueca is where to stay in Madrid for a completely local yet unconventional experience. As home to an active LGBT community, the warm, accepting vibe will make anybody feel at home. It’s home to some of the best museums in Madrid you’ve never heard of. Additionally, an afternoon spent enjoying drinks with good friends at Plaza Chueca is guaranteed to be a good time.
- Only YOU Boutique Hotel: Who wouldn’t want to stay in a historic 19th century mansion in one of Madrid’s most happening neighborhoods? The award-winning decor make this welcoming, cozy hotel stand out.
Address: Calle del Barquillo, 21
- URSO Hotel & Spa: Enjoy maximum relaxation at this luxurious hotel in Chueca! The modern vibe at URSO pays tribute to classic tradition. Moreover, be sure to take advantage of the incredible spa after a long day of sightseeing!
Address: Calle de Mejía Lequerica, 8
- Room Mate Oscar: This hotel features a spectacular terrace where you can catch a seriously unforgettable sunset. However, what really makes Room Mate Oscar stand out is its friendly vibe, modern design and casual luxury sensation.
Address: Plaza de Pedro Zerolo, 12
History lines the storied cobblestone streets of Huertas, Madrid’s old literary quarter. Some of the country’s most iconic writers lived and worked right here! Today, locals and foreigners alike find it irresistibly charming. Huertas is where to stay in Madrid for an unforgettable, off-the-beaten-path experience that will make you feel like a true madrileño.
Get to know this amazing barrio with us on our Huertas Neighborhood Food & Market Tour! This unique morning tour will take you through this charming, picturesque neighborhood, allowing you to experience it through a local’s eyes. From the colorful, vibrant local market to bustling tapas bars, it’s the best way to fully experience this authentic neighborhood!
- Catalonia Las Cortes: A picturesque, charming hotel in one of Madrid’s most beautiful neighborhoods. Set in a lovely 18th century building, its rooms exude classic elegance with all the convenience of modern amenities.
Address: Calle del Prado, 6
- Hotel Villa Real: This upscale hotel lies right in the heart of Madrid’s famous “art triangle”—in that case, it’s the perfect home base for art aficionados. However, the beautifully decorated space is perfect for everyone, with classically designed rooms and an elegant bar and restaurant.
Address: Plaza de las Cortes, 10
- Hotel Urban: A luxury hotel with modern art deco style, Hotel Urban is a cosmopolitan paradise for those who love to travel in style. The friendly staff will immediately help you to feel at home (you even get a free bottle of wine when booking on the hotel’s website!) and the hotel itself offers several relaxing amenities, such as a beautiful outdoor pool and luxurious spa.
Address: Carrera de San Jerónimo, 34
Eclectic Bohemian style meets traditional Spanish flair in La Latina, one of Madrid’s most vibrant neighborhoods. Old-world charm and youthful culture combine beautifully to make this one neighborhood of our favorite picks for where to stay in Madrid.
- Hotel Ganivet: Comfortable, polished rooms, an elegant dining room and more make Hotel Ganivet stand out. Enjoy easy access to most of Madrid’s most iconic sights from its convenient location, then come back and relax in the rooftop pool and jacuzzi!
Address: Calle de Toledo, 111 – 113
- Mayerling Hotel: A quiet, comfortable hotel with undeniably great value for money. Once an old textile warehouse, the building that now houses Mayerling features stylish, minimalist decor. It’s the perfect place to relax in comfort while still being a stone’s throw from some of the city’s best sights.
Address: Calle del Conde de Romanones, 6
- Posada del Dragon: Upscale rooms, a trendy Spanish restaurant and a classy bar make Posada del Dragon the perfect home base! This boutique 4-star hotel is cozy and comfortable, with friendly staff and unique amenities. Plus, it’s on one of our favorite streets for a tapas crawl!
Address: Cava Baja, 14
The incredible ethnic diversity of Lavapies make it where to stay in Madrid if you want to meet people from all over the world who now call the Spanish capital home! The neighborhood’s historic medieval streets now house everything from Indian restaurants to old-school Spanish taverns and more. Stay here for an unforgettable taste of local life with an international flair!
- Artrip Hotel: Small but stylish, Artrip Hotel is set in a historic, recently renovated building conveniently close to the Atocha train station. Choose from a unique variety of equally comfortable, modern rooms and relax in unpretentious luxury.
Address: Calle de Valencia, 11
- Hostal Barrera: Fairly priced yet equally smart and modern at the same time, this family-run hotel has made guests feel at home for more than 50 years. The beautiful, one-of-a-kind rooms are comfortable, colorful and bright. This place is especially perfect for a lovely little escape.
Address: Calle de Atocha, 96
- Hostal Tirso Plaza: This friendly, unpretentious hotel offers great value for money in an especially unbeatable location. As can be seen with its just eight rooms, what it lacks in size, it makes up for in comfort and personable service.
Address: Plaza Tirso de Molina, 13
Despite its undeniable hipster, alternative vibe, Malasaña welcomes a diverse community from all over the world. Especially popular among students and young people, this is where to stay in Madrid if you want to be somewhere that is constantly in motion. Furthermore, with everything from 18th century courtyards to modern, trendy bars, there’s something for everyone!
- Hotel Atlántico: From its beautiful location in an ornate, neoclassical building, Hotel Atlántico offers upscale luxury and comfort. Its privileged location on Gran Vía make it perfect for discovering Madrid. When you’re not out and about, you can relax in your beautiful, bright room or in one of the lounges.
Address: Gran Vía, 38
- Petit Palace Triball: With modern luxury set in a charming 19th century building, Petit Palace Triball especially encapsulates the old-meets-new feel of Malasaña. In addition to the standard amenities guests know and love, they also offer several unique services such as iPads upon request and free bike hire.
Address: Calle Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada, 2
- Hotel Abalu: Enjoy all the comforts of home and more in the sleek, surprisingly decorated rooms at Hotel Abalu. Choose a room that has anything from a balcony to a bed suspended from the ceiling to a whirlpool!
Address: Calle del Pez, 19
Undoubtedly upscale, elegant and classy, Salamanca is where to stay in Madrid if you want to treat yourself to a bit of the good life. Sweeping, tree-lined avenues and impeccably neat buildings form one of the city’s best shopping districts. Despite the fashionable, chic vibe, the way of life here is as leisurely and laid-back as any other area of Madrid, making it perfect for relaxation.
- Hotel Único: Stay in the lap of luxury at Hotel Único, a 5-star accommodation set in an old palace. It features chic, sophisticated decor in all areas, from the relaxing rooms and suites to the onsite fitness center to the Michelin-starred restaurant!
Address: Calle de Claudio Coello, 67
- Wellington Hotel: Traditional without being pretentious, this upscale option in the heart of Salamanca is perfect for a family stay. In addition to stylish rooms and suites, they also offer a wellness center, hammam, multiple dining options, an outdoor pool and more.
Address: Calle de Velázquez, 8
- Tótem: Sophistication and innovation await you at Tótem, which prides itself especially on its stylish, chic reflection of Salamanca itself. Perfect for a girls’ getaway or fashionable city break, this beautiful hotel surely is the pinnacle of elegance.
Address: Calle de Hermosilla, 23