Barcelona is the perfect city to visit any time of year!
You can enjoy the beach in the summer, relax without the tourist crowds in winter, and revel in beautiful balmy weather in spring and fall. But sometimes it can be hard to narrow down exactly what to bring with you to a new city. Here’s our exclusive season-by-season guide to what to pack for Barcelona so you can feel like a local and be comfortable!
Barcelona comes alive with new life in the springtime. As the winter chill starts to melt away, locals start filling plazas and parks to enjoy the newly sunny weather. While rain is not unheard of at this time of year, it’s nothing that will ruin your trip. Here’s what to pack for Barcelona in the spring!
- Light jacket: Barcelona’s beautiful Mediterranean climate allows for warm spring days, but a slight chill may still linger in the air at times. It’s always helpful to have a jacket just in case, especially at night.
- Small umbrella: Again, you’ll be glad you brought it! A compact umbrella that can easily fit into your bag will come in handy if an unexpected rain shower hits.
- Scarf: Layering your clothes makes for a quick and easy way to adapt to Barcelona’s sometimes unpredictable weather. A scarf is one of the most useful accessories: it doesn’t take up too much space, so you can take it on and off as necessary.
Summer is easily the most popular time of year to visit Barcelona. Tourists pour into the city from every corner of the world, eager to relax on the region’s unrivaled beaches. Days are long, hazy and can get quite hot. Here’s what to pack for Barcelona in summer so you can be comfortable yet stylish despite the heat.
- Sandals: Choose them wisely! You generally won’t see locals wearing flip-flops anywhere other than the pool or the beach. And don’t plan on wearing anything with a heel unless you’re an expert at navigating time-worn cobblestone streets in them (it’s harder than it sounds!). Instead, spring for a pair of classic espadrille-style or gladiator sandals.
- Wrap dress: This light, flowy garment can effortlessly take you from daytime sightseeing to evening bar-hopping without having to stop back at your hotel to change.
- Sunscreen: Stay safe in the sunshine! Barcelona’s summer rays can be quite brutal at times, so protect your skin and lather on that SPF.
As temperatures start to cool down, tourists start leaving Barcelona and the city regains more of an authentic feel. Temperatures can start to get slightly chilly, but not uncomfortably so. And there’s something magical about walking through one of Barcelona’s many beautiful parks as the leaves turn golden brown. Here’s what to pack for Barcelona in fall.
- Dark jeans: These might just be the perfect pants. You can dress them up or down however you prefer, making them perfect for a casual night out or a more upscale setting, depending on your top and shoes.
- Ankle boots: A cute, fashionable pair of ankle boots is one of the most comfortable options for walking around the city checking out the sights. They’re a great option for staying stylish without feeling like your feet are going to fall off.
- Plenty of layers: Fall in Barcelona means chillier temperatures in the morning and evening, but at midday you might be fine without a jacket. Scarves, cardigans and similar layering options will help ensure you’re comfortable at any time of day.
With barely a tourist to be seen, winter is one of the quietest times of year in Barcelona. The city’s mild Mediterranean climate means that snowfall is rare, and temperatures are not as chilly as in most of the rest of Europe. However, it can still get quite cold, so bundle up! Here’s what to pack for Barcelona in winter.
- Peacoat: If you don’t feel like walking around in a puffy winter jacket, a peacoat can be a beautiful alternative. They’re stylish yet practical, keeping you cozy and warm while preventing you from looking like a walking marshmallow.
- Hat, gloves and scarf: While winter in Barcelona isn’t nearly as cold as in northern Europe, it can still get pretty chilly, especially at night. Some cozy accessories will help keep you snug and warm, even when you’re out and about all day.
- Comfortable boots: Whether you prefer tall boots or ankle boots, they’ll keep your feet nice and toasty and provide comfort when walking all day on uneven cobblestone streets.