Discover Portugal’s History Through 10 Dishes with Melissa
Join Melissa in Lisbon as she tells the story of Portugal through 10 of its most legendary dishes—from salt-cured fish to world-famous pastries—and reveals the best ways to enjoy these foods at home!
NOTICE:Please note that the times available for this experience are in CEST (Central European Summer Time). To check the time in your local timezone check this timezone converter. All experiences are hosted through Zoom.
- Virtually travel to Lisbon and spend an hour with Melissa as she shares her passion for all things Portuguese.
- Discover 10 of Portugal’s most iconic dishes and the fascinating stories behind them.
- Get a glimpse into Portuguese history and culture through the lens of snacks, sandwiches, desserts, drinks and more.
- Spend an evening at home in a unique and entertaining way – invite your friends or bring your kids along for an international educational experience!
- Receive the recipes for the dishes discussed so you can create them at home—plus a special discount for our Recipes from the Devour Tours Kitchen cookbook.
- If you’d like this experience private for your family, friends or team, please contact us for pricing and information.
What to Expect
Please note that the times available for this experience are in CEST (Central European Summer Time). To check the time in your local timezone check this timezone converter.
Portugal is a land of explorers, fishermen and saudade—and nowhere is its adventurous, seafaring and nostalgic spirit more evident than in its cuisine. And for the best way to learn about this country’s fascinating history and culture, look no further than its most famous foods. From its world-famous custard tarts to spicy piri piri chicken, the flavors of Portugal’s cuisine are almost as rich as its story.
Lisbon local Melissa is a lover of all things Portuguese and will introduce you to 10 iconic local specialties, each of which reflects the Portuguese identity in its own unique way and tells the story of over 2000 years of history. Whether it’s the seafarers during the Age of Discoveries or special alliances a little closer to home, these special moments in history have shaped the Portuguese culture to what it is today—especially the foods
After the experience we will send you a cheat sheet of useful terms, concepts, places and phrases that are touched on during the session, in order to help you plan your next Portuguese adventure. And of course, like all of our online experiences, you will receive a special discount for our Recipes From the Devour Tours Kitchen cookbook so you can create even more delicious dishes at home!
About Our Expert Guides
Melissa was raised on grits, biscuits, and barbecue in the Appalachian mountains. After studying in Miami and Buenos Aires, she moved to Madrid to work as a writer and translator. A passion for surfing and seafood led her to Portugal, where she fell in love with Lisbon (and its pastries). She misses Spanish vermouth every day, but has found a new love for vinho verde in its absence.Meet them here!