Cook a Medieval Recipe: Taste Catalan History with Hannah
Not your average Spanish cooking class! Join Barcelona local Hannah on a cooking experience like none other as you learn a bit of Catalan culinary history and eat like royalty did 600 years ago.
NOTICE:Please note that the times listed for this experience are in CEST (Central European Summer Time). To check the time in your local timezone check this timezone converter. All experiences are hosted through Zoom.
- Virtually travel to Barcelona and spend 1 to 1.5 hours with Hannah, a certified expert in Catalan food history.
- Hear about the first cookbook in Europe not written in Latin and learn how to cook a special ancient eggplant recipe from it.
- Discover why Catalonia was the world’s culinary center in the late Middle Ages and hear the stories behind the ingredients popular today.
- Spend time with your family or friends in a unique and entertaining way—and bring your food-loving kids!
- Receive the recipe for the dish beforehand so you can cook along with Hannah at home—plus a special discount for our Recipes from the Devour Tours Kitchen cookbook so you can continue to wow friends and family with your newfound cooking skills.
- If you’d like this experience private for your family, friends or team, please contact us for pricing and information.
What to Expect
Please note that the times listed for this experience are in CEST time (Central European Summer Time). To check the time in your local timezone check this timezone converter.
Have you ever thought about when and why people started writing down recipes? Wondered why a certain dish is a specialty in a certain place? Tried to trace the origin of your favorite ingredient? Barcelona local Hannah has become an expert in all of the above by analyzing historic cookbooks and tracing ingredients back through time—and she can’t wait to share her wealth of knowledge with you.
She will introduce you to the first-ever European cookbook not written in Latin—in fact, it was written in a Catalan chef, considered a gastronomic leader at a time before Spanish classics like tomato and potato had even arrived in Europe. You’ll learn about medieval cooking and have the chance to dive into it yourself, cooking the very first eggplant recipe that was written down in Europe at a time when eggplant had just arrived and it was a new and exciting ingredient. If you’d like, you can even cook along with her as she recreates one of the best recipes out of the book, starring some of the most popular ingredients from centuries ago which are still easy to source today.
And of course, like all of our online experiences, you will receive a copy of the recipe as well as a special discount for our Recipes From the Devour Tours Kitchen cookbook so you can create even more delicious dishes at home!
About Our Expert Guides
Hannah is Swiss by birth but Catalan by heart. She speaks Catalan better than Spanish and even wrote her thesis on a medieval Catalan cookbook because for her every delicious food tastes even better if she knows its history! Hannah loves how Barcelona perfectly combines tradition and modernization in every way and loves seeking out local festivals to enjoy the best of Catalan traditions.Meet them here!