Sunday Sabor: A Masterclass in Spanish Rice
Join Arantxa, a Madrid-based chef as she guides you through complex history and cultural significance of one of Spain’s most important dishes prepares a traditional Valencian paella as part of our special series in collaboration with Atlas Obscura.
- Virtually travel to Madrid and spend 1.5 hours with Arantxa, a Le Cordon Bleu-trained chef who is passionate about Spain’s local cuisine, and especially its rice!
- Get a crash in the course complex history, cultural significance, and prized ingredients to one of Spain’s most important dish
- Discover what a paella really is and what is the different between some of Spain’s favorite rice dishes
- Learn what ingredients really go into a true authentic Valencia paella and how to create it at home
- This Spanish Sabor Series is in collaboration with Atlas Obscura, whose mission has always been to inspire wonder and curiosity about the incredible world we all share
What to Expect
Spain’s most iconic dishes are based around rice, and it’s no surprise – this ingredient has been cornerstone to Spanish cooking since the eighth century. In this class, Spanish chef Arantxa Lamas will guide you through this ingredient’s complex history and cultural significance, and introduce us to the ingredients behind some of Spain’s most important dishes.
You’ll explore the history of saffron, one of the country’s most prized exports, and then follow along as Arantxa prepares a truly authentic traditional Valencia paella. You’ll get the recipe beforehand so you can cook along with the chef if you like—or if you’d prefer, sit back and take in all of Arantxa’s cooking tips so you can recreate her paella another time.
This experience is part of the Sunday Sabor series in partnership with Atlas Obscura. Atlas Obscura’s mission is to inspire wonder and curiosity about the incredible world we all share. They started this series, and their other online experiences, because of our current need, more than ever, to stay connected—not only to our sense of wonder but to each other.
About Our Expert Guides
Born & raised in Madrid, Arantxa is a professional chef trained at the prestigious Le Cordon Bleu cooking school. She loves exploring the markets of Madrid, and cooking delicious meals. An experienced cooking school teacher, her recipes have traveled the world thanks to her students from all over the globe!Meet them here!