This blog post was originally posted on November 3, 2017, and was updated on April 17, 2019.
Finding vegetarian food in Granada is easier than ever!
While some older granadinos may be curious as to why you don’t eat jamón, more and more Spanish dining establishments are working to adapt their menus to accommodate guests who don’t eat meat or animal products. Nowadays it’s a piece of cake to enjoy some of the best traditional dishes and tapas without the meat! If you’re hungry for vegetarian food in Granada, this handy guide is where to start.
Key words and phrases
It can be overwhelming to try and communicate dietary needs in an unfamiliar language. When ordering vegetarian food in Granada, here are some handy words and phrases to communicate your dietary restrictions in Spanish:
Yo soy vegano/a. I am vegan.
Yo soy vegetariano/a. I am vegetarian.
Yo no como ni carne, ni pescado, ni huevos, ni productos lacteos. I don’t eat meat, fish, eggs or dairy products.
¿Me recomiendas algo rico por favor? Can you recommend me something tasty please?
Yo no puedo comer… I can’t eat…
Yo puedo comer… I can eat…
Leche de soja: Soy milk
Insider’s Tip: The good news is that in Granada, the tapas that accompany your drink are usually on the house. The bad news is that this means you usually can’t choose which tapa you want. But don’t worry! Restaurants always have a vegetarian (and sometimes even vegan) choice. Just make sure you tell them about your dietary requirements when you order the drink. If not, they’ll serve whatever tapa they want!
Typical vegetarian tapas in Granada
Whether you adhere to a meatless diet or are simply craving some veggies, vegetarian food in Granada is healthy, delicious and easy to find. Here are some of our favorite vegetarian-friendly tapas!
- Pimientos del Padrón: A great way to start any meal! Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, these tasty green peppers are a local favorite. They’re vegan, too!
- Pisto or grilled vegetables: This typical Spanish dish is similar to ratatouille. It features a delicious and colorful array of zucchini, eggplant, onion, tomato and peppers. Vegetarians who eat eggs can try it with a huevo frito on top!
- Veggie montaditos: These yummy mini sandwiches are definitely a favorite throughout Spain. The best part: the only mandatory ingredient is bread! The rest is highly customizable. When it comes to vegetarian food in Granada, your montadito in most restaurants will come with ingredients like tomato, avocado and asparagus.
- Hummus: Bring some of Granada’s Moorish essence to the table! This isn’t your everyday grocery store hummus. This tasty mix of chickpeas, spices, sesame and cumin will take you back in time to Moorish Granada.
Vegan and vegetarian restaurants in Granada
Looking for more vegan and vegetarian food in Granada? Check out one of the city’s meatless restaurants. These tasty spots are the perfect place to refuel with plenty of green energy before hitting the town.
- Hicuri: One of our favorite vegan restaurants in Granada! The eclectic artwork and tasty dishes (such as vegan desserts) at fair prices make this a must.
- Al-laurel: Located in the heart of Granada’s historic center, this beautifully decorated restaurant is committed to providing fresh, healthy food. They use seasonal, all-natural ingredients to prepare everything—including the best veggie burger in town!
- Raíces: The aptly named Raíces, which translates to “roots,” undoubtedly has the claim to fame of being Granada’s first vegetarian restaurant. Although it’s located in a more suburban area, it’s well worth the trek. Try the chef’s special patatas—they’re undeniably delicious!
- La Goma: What this place lacks in size, it makes up for in quality. Tucked away in a quiet corner of the city center, they offer a lovely wine menu in addition to meatless food.